Good Morning!! As we enter a new week, let’s take a look at the latest trending startup news insights.
17 January 2022
1. A Thai start-up is working on a Covid vaccine — using tobacco leaves
Thailand’s Baiya Phytopharm wants to develop the country’s first plant-based Covid vaccine. The start-up, founded by Dr. Suthira Taychakhoonavudh and Dr. Waranyoo Phoolcharoen in 2018, has been working on a vaccine using the leaves of an Australian tobacco plant. Read More.
2. Autonomous driving start-up Wayve bags $200 million from Microsoft, Virgin, and Baillie Gifford
U.K. autonomous driving start-up Wayve has been backed by a host of big-name investors including Microsoft, Virgin, and Baillie Gifford in a $200 million funding round that brings total investment in the company up to $258 million. Read More.
18 January 2022
1. Flipkart Wholesale to reorganize business operations
Flipkart Wholesale, the business-to-business arm of the namesake group, will reorganize its business operations to reduce costs and increase investments in the business. Read More.
2. boAt Becomes First Indian D2C Brand To Head For IPO, To File INR 2,000 Cr DRHP Next Week
Delhi-based consumer electronics brand boAt is all set to become the first Indian D2C brand to file for an IPO. The D2C startup is aiming to raise about INR 2,000 Cr through IPO and is planning to file the DRHP with SEBI as early as next week. Read More.
19 January 2022
1. Three former SpaceX engineers are designing self-powered electric freight train cars
Three former SpaceX engineers are launching a company Parallel Systems to design and build electric self-powered train cars, in a bid to improve efficiency and lower emissions in the freight rail system. Read More.
2. Dogsee Chew Bags INR 50 Cr For Producing Veg Treats For Pets
Pet-treat startup Dogsee Chew has raised around INR 50 Cr in a Series A funding round from Mankind Pharma along with the existing backer Sixth Sense Ventures. Read More.
20 January 2022
1. Microsoft vets reveal first game from new blockchain startup backed by Andreessen Horowitz
Irreverent Labs, a new Seattle startup led by Microsoft veterans that recently raised a $5 million seed round, just revealed its first game. Read More.
2. Lotus Herbals acquires 25% in D2C brand Conscious Chemist
Natural beauty care company Lotus Herbals said it has acquired a 25 percent stake in direct-to-consumer brand Conscious Chemist. Conscious Chemist is a new-age clean beauty brand operating in the skincare category. Read More.
21 January 2022
1. European spend management platform Moss raises $86 million
Berlin-based startup Moss announced earlier this week that it has closed a new $86 million Series B funding round (€75 million). Read More.
2. Dental Tech Startup Toothsi Bags $9 Mn In Debt Funding
Dental tech startup Toothsi has raised $9 Mn (INR 66.6 Cr) in a debt funding round led by Stride Ventures. Read More.
22 January 2022
1. Purple Light Serves a Purpose in Vertical Farming
Agritech startup Sentra Farm has made an urban farming movement by turning a warehouse in Cimanggis, Depok, West Java into a vertical farm to cultivate crops. Read More.
2. E-mobility startup VAAN Electric Moto launches e-bikes in India
Indian lifestyle e-mobility startup VAAN Electric Moto Pvt Ltd has launched its electric bicycle-Urbansport in the country. Read More.
23 January 2022
1. Seattle inventor’s Heroclip gear-holding gadget acquired after raising $2M and selling 1M units
Heroclip, a unique gear-holding gadget invented by Seattle entrepreneur Mina Yoo, has been acquired by Gear Aid of Bellingham, Wash. Yoo. Read More.
If you missed out on the previous week or entire month's updates of startup world news, follow the link to read it now and stay tuned with us for more updates.
We, at OpenGrowth, are constantly looking for the latest news in the startup ecosystem. If you want to share any important news from last week, then do let us know in the comment section below.